The status of Karimunjawa as one of the preserved national marine park in Indonesia gives evidence on how beautiful the underwater life is in the islands. No need to rent high cost diving gear or search for a specific location just to view forest of colorful coral reefs and all their inhabitants.
Karimunjawa is and island chain stretching in a northwesternly direction 83 km from Jepara. Central Java. This archipelago is a cluster of 27 island in the java sea. The reefs are a mixture of fringing, barrier, and patch with bottom depths ranging from 15 to 40 meters.
The virgin beaches along the 27 islands in the group are home to 64 different types of coral reef, 290 species of coral fish, 7 species of kima (giant clam), 3 species of turtles and other marine biota, including sponges, soft coral, and anemone.
ust get your snorkel set ready at hand, plunge into in the water and enjoy….
Five of these islands are domestically inhabited and together with 22 others from the four major zones; Zone I is the core sanctuary area and is out of bounds to all, Zone 2 is the wilderness area open to limited tourism, Zone 3 is the utilization area, Zone 4 is the buffer zone.
Facilities and activity
The dive resorts is situated on the uninhabited island of Menyawakan, measuring 19 hectares, in the Karimun Jawa archipelago. By speed boat transfer from Jepara to the resort about two and a half hours one-way or from Semarang about 3 hours. With 5 VIP bungalows and 5 two room deluxe cottages, 15 rooms in all, and the resort is very luxurious.
Most of the islands are blessed with white sandy beaches that stretch along the shoreline. So what you need to do is pick a spot to your liking, laze out in the sun and voila!…Those celebrity golden chocolate skin will be yours by the end of your holiday.
Here are some hints on what you can do while you stay in the islands:
- Swim with sharks: Really?.. Yes, really!.. Swimming with sharks is a must to do activity while you stay in the islands. Test your guts and have memorable pictures taken with the sharks circling around you in the conservatory shark pool.
- Fishing: Night fishing is a favorite activity to some visitors. Do it by your self or join a tournament that frequently held by local government and institution.
- A trip by glass bottom boat: Not really an Olympic qualified swimmer?.. Fear not people, there are plenty shallow water in the surrounding. But if you want to see the marine life in deeper water, joining a glass bottom trip is a must.
- Islands hopping: Club hopping?.. Mall hopping?.. Naah, that’s old news. Islands hopping is the ‘it’ activity for you to do in the islands. Remember, there are 27 of them, and all waiting for you eager beaver marine lover.
- Diving: If you are one of the people who are not satisfied by snorkeling slowly around the islands, diving is definitely an option. Rent a diving gear and get set to the various diving sites available in the islands. FYI, one of the most favorite is Indonoor shipwreck.